It’s called Black Monday; the first day after the regular season has ended. “It’s also called pink slip party day.” It’s the day when many coaching and general manager tentures come to an end.
This year have been especially tough on GMs. Usually 1 or 2 get fired, but this year we’ve already seen 6 fired, with one more likely in the next few days. Head coaches haven’t fared any better. 7 opening have already been created, with at least one more likely to come soon.
Here’s a list of all of the firings that have happened so far:
- Jacksonville has fired their GM, Gene Smith , but so far have decided not to fire head coach Mike Mularkey.
- The Chicago Bears have fired head coach Lovie Smith.
- The San Diego charger have fired both head coach Norv Turner and GM AJ Smith.
- The Philadelphia Eagles have fired Andy Reid, who was both Head coach and GM for the team.
- The Kansas City Chiefs have fired head Coach Romeo Crennel, but unexpectedly kept GM Scott Pioli.
- The Cleveland Browns have fired head coach Pat Shurmur and GM Tom Heckert.
- The Arizona Cardinals have fired both head coach Ken Whisenhunt and GM Rod Graves.
- The Buffalo Bills have fired head coach Chan Gailey.
- The Jets have fired GM Mike Tannenbaum, but have retained head coach Rex Ryan.
I’ll update this if any more are announced.